What happens when you mix Dwayne Johnson and three monstrously transformed creatures? A Rampage, of course. With filming prepping to begin this month, finalization of the cast is happening with Malin Akerman joining Johnson, Naomie Harris, Joe Maganiello, Marley Shelton, Jake Lacy, P.J. Byrne, Jack Quaid, Matt Gerald, and Breanne Hill.
The New Line adaptation of the classic arcade game reunites Johnson with director Brad Peyton and producer Beau Flynn. They first worked on Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) and then San Andreas (2015). Ryan Engle penned the script with Ryan Condal and Carlton Cuse helping with revisions. Joining Flynn on producing duties is John Rickard via Wrigley Pictures, and Hiram Garcia through 7 Bucks Entertainment. Johnson, Marcus Viscidi, Jeff Fierson, and Dany Garcia are executive producing with Wendy Jacobson from Flynn Picture Co. overseeing.
Based on the 1986 Midway video game, Rampage will feature three creatures: an enormous lizard named Lizzie, a giant werewolf named Ralph, and a massive ape named George. Players used these monsters to destroy cities around the world. The project was a surprise announcement in 2011. Johnson’s attachment was announced in 2015. While little is known about the plot, we do know it will center around Johnson who plays a “Primatologist and head of an anit-poaching unit in Rwanda” with Akerman as the villainess, a calculating head of a tech company that is behind the monsters. Lacy will play her brother.
Recently Johnson took to Instagram saying this about the project:
Spent my Friday night at our Warner Bros offices in a 6hr script session with these rampaging rockstars. Our RAMPAGE (next movie I'll make) writers, producers, director and star (occasionally me). Even though this took us deep into Friday night and we all have families and stuff to do – this kind of meeting is so critical to our movie's success. Everyone's instincts were firing on the highest of levels. My fav moment from this merciless 6hr meeting was when I shared with this group that there's an equity and trust I've built with my audience that they trust me to take them on an epic ride, and always do our best to send them home happy. A very cool moment to see everyone's eyes light and heads start to nod. To win on any level you gotta have teamwork and collaboration and cant thank everyone enough in this room for their energy and focus. You truly helped us move the needle. And Wendy Jane you're Superwoman for your creative brilliance and putting up with all these asshole's dumb guy jokes. Not me of course, I'm a gentleman. 😈 Next stop for me in my research – the Primate division at the Atlanta Zoo (my character's a Primatologist & head of an anti poaching unit in Rwanda). Really informative and educational character to play and project to work on. More to come. Start shooting this APRIL. #RAMPAGE
- Dwayne Johnson – He recently lent his voice to Moana and will have Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and Baywatch released later this year. Previous projects have included HBO’s Ballers, G.I. Joe: Retaliation, and Race to Witch Mountain.
- Malin Akerman – She is currently on season 2 of Showtime’s Billions. Next big screen project is The Ticket opposite Dan Stevens.
- Naomie Harris – Recently seen in Moonlight, her previous films include Spectre, Southpaw, and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest and At the World’s End. She will next be in Jungle Book.
- Joe Manganiello – Known as Alcide the werewolf from HBO’s True Blood, he has also been in the Magic Mike movies and has been cast as Deathstroke in The Batman (unless that changes with the script rewrites currently underway)
- Marley Shelton – Previously in Eleventh Hour on television, she was recently in Solace. Past projects include Sin City and Pleasantville.
- Jake Lacy – Currently filming the television series I’m Dying Up Here for Showtime, his past projects include Miss Sloane, How to Be Single, and Balls Out.
- P.J Byrne – He recently was in the television miniseries, Big Little Lies and HBO’s Vinyl. His previous big screen projects include The Wolf of Wall Street and Charlie Wilson’s War.
- Jack Quaid – He recently appeared in Tragedy Girls and will next be in Steve Soderbergh’s Logan Lucky. Previous projects include HBO’s Vinyl, Just Before I Go, and The Hunger Games as the tribute, Marvel.
- Matt Gerald – Just finished Netflix’s Bright with Will Smith and Joel Edgerton. He is a regular on the Netflix Marvel hit Daredevil as Melvin Potter. He also appeared with Johnson in San Andreas.
- Breanne Hill – She currently appears with Jason Momoa on the Canadian series, Frontier. She also appeared with Johnson in San Andreas.
Filming begins this month in Atlanta. Rampage is slated for an April 28, 2018 release.